Greetings from the CGA! It has been both a busy and successful fall for our athletics teams, and in this issue of Inside the Bear Den, we have a lot of good news and information to share with you.
Our fall season featured several noteworthy accomplishments:
- Men’s soccer defeated Merchant Marine for the second straight year, and in a span of 5 days twice defeated NEWMAC rival Springfield in double overtime.
- Women’s soccer doubled their 2012 win total, and advanced to NEWMAC Tournament play for the first time in 10 years.
- Football honored the achievements of the 1963 Championship Team at their 21 September reunion, and 4/c quarterback Derek Victory was named the NEFC “Newcomer of the Year.”
- 1/c Gary Ezzo led the men’s cross country team to a 2nd place NEWMAC finish, and his performances qualified him to run in the NCAA Division III Championship Race.
- Volleyball enjoyed a 22-9 season under new head coach Aylene Ilkson, marking the 11th time in the past 13 years that CGA has won 20 or more games.
In this issue, please pay particular attention to the column written by Assistant AD for Compliance Chris Parsons, where he shares very important information regarding the NCAA’s “representatives of athletics interest” rules and how they apply to Bear Club members. We welcome any/all questions that you may have regarding this concept, which is an important element of Institutional Control as specified by the NCAA.
We hope you enjoy this publication, and appreciate your tangible support of the CGA athletic program and our nearly 600 cadet-athletes. Please know that your support truly does make a difference. Best wishes for a happy holiday season!
Director of Athletics